Hello fellow travelers. Lizzy knows most of this and she needs, IMHO, to know the rest. So read on:
Well there we were last night, smack in the middle of the HO-HO-Holiday Season, and I mean the middle of it all! Rockefeller Center, music blaring from every store and street corner we passed. Classic Christmas tunes, invading your mind as they invade Manhattan's Christmas core and I, little Charlotte, photographer extraordinaire, equipment bag slung across one shoulder being alternately pushed and pulled into the cavernous surround of The Tree, by a force I call boss and friend. The woman is driven! She dragged me along for ... I'm not even sure what, like I said credentials? I'm supposed to be the professional eye of this project she's cooking up with the New York City Fire Department for the Burn Center Foundation.
Well, I do believe that Christmas may even come early if there are 12 more guys willing to pose who are half the Adonis the firefighter who accompanied our client was. Not to mention, but I really must, the ever lovin' gorgeous executive from the foundation who's heading up this Megillah with my success obsessed but so-called single searching, best friend, project boss Elizabeth. I thought it was strictly a business appointment but that's not exactly what this turned out to be.
So we're killing a few early minutes in Lizzy's favorite chocolate shop, just before the scheduled rendezvous (Lucky girl with her body can eat chocolate.) Right outside the shop there are these two guys, kind of talking. One of them is tall, dark and gorgeous, and the other is like his total opposite: lanky but compact, fair-haired, clean cut preppy alter ego. Well, "tall, dark" guy starts in about Lizzy and he hasn't even met her, only, apparently he had been witness to "The Black Widow."
So, if any body happened to notice a small explosion last night in the vicinity of Rockefeller Center, just around the time Matt Lauer of NBC and Mayor Bloomberg gave the signal to light the tree, it wasn't an electrical problem. It was my good buddy having a chemical reaction that came close to combustion, when she crossed paths with our newest clients. And it was pretty close to disaster right off the bat.
So, they're talking about Lizzy and the tall, dark gorgeous one, and I do mean hunky, hot gorgeous, gets all into his friend's face, going off about my good friend. Only he wasn't sounding very friendly. In fact it sounded pretty insulting.
Now his buddy, on the other hand, is trying to calm him down. These are the guys we're supposed to meet for this latest project! Well, sparks were flying faster than Lizzy's roundhouse kicks, but I tried to keep my girl calm and laughing. Wasn't easy, especially since I was more than a little distracted by the other guy, Mr. Foundation Project Liaison. Talk about candy! Clean cut and blonde is not my usual treat of choice, but this one could make me toss out the Godiva and go for the sugar coated gummies, so cute. Great sense of humor and turns out, co-incidentally, he's trying to do for his friend (cousin, actually) what I'm trying to do for Lizzy.
But the big problem, aside from the flying insults and killer glares was that SHE was totally focused on the Foundation campaign and HE was seriously hungover from a really tragic loss of a fellow firefighter friend just last week. You'd think the two of them, with those two OBVIOUSLY equally compassionate souls could have met with camaraderie, but NO. She didn't know about his friend and he couldn't see past that damn demeanor she hides behind. But believe it when I tell ya, with all of THAT there was an electric current between those two that could have lit up the Empire State Building. Well, until he stormed off in huff and she jumped right back into business, as usual.
But, I've got faith in my girl, she's determined. She'll get her date for Christmas, and then some. I'm absolutely positive.
Let's hear what Celine Dion has to say about my meeting "Preppy," "I Met an Angel"
Song on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6F9uWuIpeo
"Ah, so desu ne." Now we know why poor Lizzy got the bitchy end of Mr Surly. No excuse for his discourtesy though. But maybe their next encounter will be friendlier. I am sure that you Charlotte, as her BFF, will help ease the tension. But boy, *you* lucked in with Mr Preppy there. So very pretty. Not a waste of an evening for you obviously. Well done you!
ReplyDeleteYes, it is! But one never knows, or what may come. But tis the season to be merry. But on an inside note, and yes Liz can read this as she knows where I stand, these two seem to need handlers. From what Preppy told me, and we did spend quite a bit of time- umm ... talking- his cousin has a lot more to him than what we saw last night. There is, supposedly, a heart of gold within that golden body. At the moment, I'm tending to believe the cousin. Of course, the cousin may require further investigation! Thanks, Char
DeleteOh Charlotte, congrats on your Christmas cutie. You've got to talk some sense into your girl Lizzy. She's got some tunnel vision is missing the opportunities all around. It sounds like guys are noticing her at the gym and other places and she is just totally missing the signals.
ReplyDeleteKmeint01
Oh Char, your little "gummy bear" is yummy! And how exciting that he is trying to do the same for his cousin. But...was Mr. Grinch really as bad as Lizzy said on her end of the blog? Alright, I suppose he was. Nevertheless, Mr. Yummy thinks the cousin-guy has potential, and Liz did say she found out later that he was suffering from a loss...too bad. Thinking here... You said sparks were flying between those two insulting recruits? I wonder what it would be like if they both played nice. Keep us posted. This blog is like reading a modern JAFF novel. Sweet times! ~Jen Red~
ReplyDeleteHi Jen! Yes, just a lovely little bit of Christmas Candy. And yes, as the evening went on, after we left Liz, we came to "terms" and decided to "join" forces as we both have our missions. You ask about chemistry? Perhaps if I didn't know Liz as long and well as I do, I would have been misled by words and actions, but Lizzy isn't one to enter an arena where she has no interest, and she stepped right into this one, with cannons blasting. I know that reaction. It wasn't always that way, but my girl has grown up. And what no one thought about last night was how nervous she was. This campaign is important for its cause and to her career, two things she takes very seriously. To get sucker punched before the meet started, shook her more than she will ever admit, and lets face it, even though the current was flowing between them, the words he spoke hit her in her softest spot: her mother has been putting her down forever. So I cut my little Boo a bit of slack. Play nice? I'm getting the feeling the best we may hope for is "PLAY HARD". Good start, right. Love, Char
DeletePS Char...I forgot...loved the Dion song. Really gets you in the mood, in a "preppy" sort of way! Jen Red
ReplyDeleteWho new that songstress had it in her?!?! See, can't judge a book by its latest hits, can ya? But for the record, Angel- yes, Chapel- HAH! He's a divorce lawyer for cryin out loud! L,CL
DeleteIt doesn't sound like Liz really tried to change his opinion of her. But at the same time she didn't write him off as not worth her effort either. Very interesting!
ReplyDeleteCould it be that "tall and dark' isn't keen on this match-making and was just trying to get Preppy off his case? And it sounds like he hadn't met Liz but had at least seen her at the gym. Could it be he was so vehement in his reasons why he did not need to be set up with Liz that perhaps he was protesting too much. Liz mentioned that he thinks she snubbed him at the gym. Maybe he was knocked out by her even though he wasn't the one in the ring and was hurting pretty bad from that. It doesn't sound like he's the type that's used to rejection. And while I still don't think Liz should have quite gone at it the way she did, it's probably really good that she gave him a set-down.
Just as long as she doesn't keep doing this every time she gets all hot and bothered by a man!
Also, I'm not one for blondes but Preppy is quite nice!
Hi Rose, and yes, I agree, Preppy is quite nice. And a few other things ...
ReplyDeleteThat said, back to Liz. I think you're right about Liz not making an effort, but seriously, aside from him being so HOT and one the firemen who will probably be in the calendar, why should she have? He insulted her without knowing her. He made his assumptions based on one sighting. And no, I don't think he's any more enthralled with the idea of being fixed up than Liz would be if it weren't for another command performance at her mother's Christmas dinner, and the desire to have a date for Jane's wedding. I believe she would love to find a good guy for more than those two occassions, but it isn't easy. All in all I think she's being a good sport here letting me drag her around to new places to meet guys, and I guess that Preppy's cousin is doing the same for his own reasons.
Keep up the great perspective Rose. It helps. But stay clear of Preppy, please? I have some holiday plans I wouldn't mind exploring. Love, Char
I think I'm just the type of person that needs everyone to respect me. I would have to prove him wrong. It wouldn't necessarily be about changing his opinion so I could date him, because his ego is a turn off, but that I would hate for someone to have that impression of me. And he doesn't even know her. I'd be crying under my desk worried that I must be giving off some bad vibe if total strangers think that of me. And I'm not saying Liz is, I'm just saying that's where I'm coming from.
DeleteAnd knowing me, I probably would be subconsciously giving off that vibe to protect myself. My husband and I just had a conversation the other day about it. Apparently I had some kind of ice queen reputation when it came to dating in high school (where we met). I had lots of friends and was definitely a friendly person, but apparently all the guys felt they never had a chance. My husband was the only one to even ask me out and I turned him down at first so I guess they weren't wrong! He saw me as a challenge he had to win over. I wasn't intentionally an ice queen, I just had my list and all the other guys were good friends. Why mess with that? But now I see that until I had a few years in with my husband I believed any relationship I would have was doomed for failure. I still thought that at the beginning with him but just needed to give it a chance. I've never been so glad to be wrong! Ok, enough on me using this blog as a therapy session.
I'm guessing Liz is so great in her career because she can be enured to the idea of having everyone accept her. She can clearly just realize there are jerks in the world and that's that. So I suppose I shall live vicariously through her!
And you can keep Preppy. Hope you make some great holiday memories with him!
I'm on hunk alert! Geez... can't they make 'em a little less cute? I'm just so distracted right now and I need to get some work done!
ReplyDeleteChar how was your night? I'm dying for details!
ReplyDelete