Pages

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Charlotte's Super Opinion

Hey Gang, Charlotte Here!


I am a bad friend. I am a great photographer and from all evidence, my creativity extends to other dark rooms as well.   I'm a quick study, becoming quite conversant in Yiddish.  I'm a unique fashionista, but, sadly, a bad friend.  Let me explain. 

I started this Christmas endeavor with the sole goal of helping my dearest friend, Lizzy, find love, well, a date really, well okay, maybe just a roll in the hay.  Someone who would allow her to realize all she has to offer and all she's been missing out by being too picky and focused on perfection, her own and the lack of it in the male species. She says she has bad luck. I don't think that's the issue.

But somewhere along the very strange trip, my inner GPS took an unexpected turn, and decided on an off-course excursion, straight to Preppyville. That's located on the Upper East Side of Manhattan island, snuggled into a tight row of privately owned, very posh brownstones. I have found the most absurdly perfect guy.  A straight laced, well to do, Ivy educated, private club card carrying member of New York's High Society and the American Bar Association. I'm in love (and unbelievable lust) with a divorce attorney, hell, the fact that he's an attorney of any kind is rather bizarre. Had he been all that he is, in any other circumstance, I would have run downtown so fast my Doc Marten's would have split their souls/soles, but  . . . .this guy, oh my Lord! Never ever, ever could I imagine hooking up, let alone, being involved, on the verge of melding homesteads, with this paragon of everything I have always disdained. And there you have it, in a nutshell. I was harboring some ridiculous prejudice against a level of society and everyone contained within, with no real knowledge of my own left wing, love of liberality bias. Shocking.  

Preppy and I started off being corner men for each of our own best friends, but soon realized there was more going on between us than between them. We tried, honestly we have, but every plan, every strategy kept throwing them at each other with fists raised, and us, on the side lines huddling together, mostly trying to stop each other from laughing at the misguided maneuvers our counterparts kept hurling at each other.  And as we watched, we found it was becoming far more interesting to spend our time finding out about each other, and find out, we did. 

Turns out, I have a great ability for seeing a whole picture, not just the narrow view his clients present, which makes it easier for Mr. NY Divorce to sculpt a settlement without any scraped knuckles or visible bruises. He has the most discerning eye for detail, particularly visual and color composition. I will admit that the first time we ventured into my darkroom together, photography had little to do with the plan. But that red light and the developing pans soon gave way to a burgeoning interest between the two of us, and well, let's just say, there was nothing negative going on. Like I said, who knew his pride was only related to fierce family loyalty and a charitable endeavor with that family name. 

We took the matchmaker, Sadie, to a Broadway matinee this afternoon. She was pretty impressed we had found each other without outside help. Lunch was at Junior's Deli along side Schubert Lane, because we did want Sadie to know she was very appreciated and what better way to say love in Yiddish than with cheesecake?! We went to see a new show we thought she'd appreciate: First Date! Sadie showed up in heels, her palazzo pants and a fur trimmed cashmere coat. Apparently, matchmaking in New York is a lucrative vocation. She loved the show and truth be told, so did we. 

So Lizzy, if you're reading, sorry I have been a bit MIA. I am reading your blog, on your speed dial, and you know I'm in your corner, I'm just not standing here alone. As your best friend, let me give you a real piece of advice: open your eyes and your heart. You'd be amazed what might just fall right into your arms. 

Good luck on that auction date you finally agreed to go on. I hope you're feeling lucky (maybe even get lucky.)  I am and I definitely will. Love, Char

Now this song is so adorable, I couldn't resist.  "Mr. Santa" by a country singer named Lucy Angel.  Well, Mr. Santa granted my secret wish before Christmas, let's hope Lizzy realizes that he's granted hers, too.


12 comments:

  1. Well Char - love comes when you least expect it - and hey you did it without a list! Wishing you happiness always - maybe you could lend Liz and Mr Dec your darkroom - who knows what may be developed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:17 PM

      Lizzy is welcome to the dark room anytime she wants, but she might want to wait till my free loading brother hits the road again, don't ya think? So I may make the offer, but with a disclaimer!!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous8:13 AM

    Hi Charlotte! It sure sounds like love found you very easily, and what a gorgeous guy. I know someone who looks just like him, but that guy was once a serial dater like someone else in my family. Maybe your guy is what Sadie called your bashert. I hope our friend, Liz finds her bashert. Maybe it's Mr. D -- or maybe it is my brother - or maybe it is Sadie's match. Well, we all know it is not your brother. Sorry, Chica. It's a shame you're sort of in the middle of that mess. Good thing you've moved uptown (maybe it won't be temporary.) We're a civil lot up here, don't you think?

    I hope you have a very Merry Christmas and that your New Year is filled with hot sex and tons of love! Georgie <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:25 PM

      Hi Georgie! Your brother sounds like quite a guy from what you told Liz. But hopefully those bad habits don't run in rampant in your family. Preppy has been around the block quite a lot too, but then again, serial dating in New York is not unusual. Point of fact, I'd say its about even between Men and Women on that score. Yes, the neighborhood is fine, but mostly I like the indoor amenities! Love, Char

      Delete
  3. Charlotte! I'm so happy for you! I love LOVE! Don't berate yourself...you are a great friend! You at least pointed Liz in the right direction and in end the end it is up to her and whoever(?) to make a go of it. At least she sounds optimistic so what more could you ask for? And as long as she doesn't slip back into J the J, we out here in Cyber Land have high hopes, big apple pie in the sky hopes! Cute Santa song! Still rooting for our girl. Jen Red

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:27 PM

      Thanks for the guilt relief Jen. yes, our dear girl is making progress. she is finally OVER J the J and that alone is big. Things really seem clearer when you open your eyes, right? Got to look back clearly and look ahead clearly too! or, as in my case, not even look, just jump! CU Soon, Char

      Delete
  4. Kayenne12:11 PM

    That is one seriously hot guy, Char! Would he have any single and available brother? I'm still dateless come Christmas. As they say, one good turn deserves another... yours just came sooner than Lizzy finding good results... but it looks like she is catching up.

    Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:32 PM

      Yeah, he is hot and really cute. Its so funny to see the real guy behind the "Suit". And believe me, he is a suit, so I feel like I'm privy to a big secret: Preppy's "other" side. No brothers, sorry but he does have one hot single cousin. I think he's he's kind of into someone right now.... but I'll let you know if he becomes available!!! Love, Char

      Delete
  5. Oh Charlotte, you're the best friend any girl could wish for. It was time for you to step aside and Lizzy and Mr. Dec work things out. Besides, I'm elated the love bug has bit you too...Best of luck with Preppy. I'm cheering on the sidelines for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:37 PM

      Thanks for the cheers. Prep and I are having fun, but who knows if or where this may go. For now, I've got my Christmas Preppy present, so I'll just be happy. Liz is a big girl who just needed someone else to give her a kick and a shove. Something good will come of all this for her, I just feel it. Thanks for the BFF kudos. Its hard to know how far to push sometimes, even for a good cause. Love, Char

      Delete
  6. You know what they say, you find love when you least expect it! Very happy for you and preppy. Don't let anyone spoil your happiness, even your brother!
    I don't think Liz will be too urt. She wants you to be happy. You and preppy have done just about all you can to help those two. The rest should be up to them!
    Enjoy your holidays with your new beau!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:11 AM

    Char I'm so happy for you. What a wonderful gift you gave Sadie. You and Prep are great people.
    Somebody Else Mother

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.