Well friends, you have heard the bad and definitely the ugly in my dating attempts, but I don't think you've actually heard from my lips that a blind date had been good! Last night my deceptive sister and her secretive fiance fixed me up with Charlie's friend at their penthouse in TriBeCa. Given the experiences of the last two weeks, I should have known that there are no coincidences, only planned matchmaking. Clearly, everyone is conspiring around me. Who can I trust?! I'd been played by my sister and given the fact that I haven't heard from Charlotte in two days, I venture to guess she knew about this too! I should have figured out then when my sister proclaimed that she saw my date without clothes, something wasn't right. I should have known something was in the air when Charlie 'knew for certain' that his friend 'Fitzwilliam' would like me no matter what I wore. BTW, that name has not been changed to protect the innocent. I swear on all that is holy and unholy that is a REAL first name.
So, am I mad about all the conspiring around me? Well, not really. Charlotte and my sister love me, they want my wishes and desires to come true. Sure, they've been sneaky matchmakers, but I can't say I wouldn't do the same. And, well, tonight's surprise was incredible, so incredible that I had hoped for a good night kiss, particularly when we stood beside my sister's seven foot Christmas tree.
Now, normally I will save all topics pertaining to Mr. December until the end. Not tonight. Tonight I want to start with the positive and tell you that in spite of the Full Moon, it was a lucky night. Well, when I exited Jane's dressing room - which by the way is a converted bedroom - wearing the above impulse buy from Canal Street in Chinatown, I was thunderstruck when I saw Mr. December standing at the balcony next to Charlie's sister. He is Charlie's best friend and best man. Not the stranger I was led to believe I was being fixed up with. Suddenly, the full moon didn't bother me and moreover, I was excited about him being my date rather than someone else. Mr. December looked scrumptious, right down to his custom Ferragamos for his size twelve feet. Funny how I never noticed the size of his feet before. Umm ... we'll get to that another time when I have a full report. Ahem *cough* Optimistic, you say? Yeah, I think I am.
Anyway, his tailored shirt, sweater and trousers impressed me. This was the first time, I had seen him dress so nicely. When he took my hand in his, as he kissed my cheek hello, I swear I think electrical currents traveled up my arm. His aftershave almost caused me to swoon, but something else did too. Something entirely unexpected, something I'm sure he did just for me, which leads me to believe he expected my presence at dinner: Mr. December wore glasses. Tortoise-framed Dolce & Gabbanas and my goodness if he didn't look even sexier. Later he told me he was blind as a bat. Wow - I'm stunned, here I thought he looked down at me because of my imperfections and he is visually impaired, and far from visually imperfect!
Did I mention the rose? The former Christmas stealer, Mr. Grinch, bought me a yellow rose and Jane a huge bouquet of exotic tropical flowers: birds of paradise, protea, anturiums. Amazing that he would go through the trouble of finding such blooms this time of year.
And ... and ... and... something happened from the moment he kissed my cheek hello. Maybe it was Charlie's powerful eggnog, but Mr. December and I connected - WHAM! It was instantaneous. Boy did we have a fun and wicked time at Ms. C's (Charlie's sister) expense. Maybe I'll refer to her by her corporate name: Poochie Mama Matchmaking. Hate to give her a plug, but given my on and off volunteering up at the ASPCA, you can only imagine the distaste I have for a designer boutique dog matchmaker. Yes, that's right my friends, you heard me right. Mr. December and I clearly took more of a liking to her little Burberry dressed, Taco-terrier, than we did her. Anyway, the laughs my date and I shared, the surreptitious glances, the unspoken words, all told me what a fool I had been. I am really looking forward to getting to know him better.
Thursday is our real date. And I can't believe I'm going to voice this aloud, but from the very beginning Charlotte was right when she said, on that horrific speed dating night, "Not everything is as it appears and sometimes you may just find a diamond in the rough right under your nose." I'm excited for Thursday. Now, I have no idea what to wear, how to act, what to say. Here's a shout out to you Caveman - I'll just take your advice, but I am nervous!
Kelly Clarkson sings such a beautiful song "A Grown Up Christmas" it just seems right. Song on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1TTnPdZOZI
A friend of the Blog suggested this song too, and since it was playing at my sister's apartment tonight, I'll play it in honor of my very first spectacular date. Michael Buble's "Cold December Night."
Song on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fSgVI5LzoE

Good morning, Liz. I was up early and caught your blog over a double espresso. Long story - but I was up all night - but glad I was up so that I could read your good news! Thanks for the shout out on the advice. See, I knew if you were just yourself, you would have a great time. I, myself, learned the hard way about that. Long story there, too. While I won't speculate about Ms. C, it sounds like she was inadvertently a matchmaker, giving you and Mr. D, something to bond over. My advice for your date hasn't changed, just be yourself. Just wondering - and only because you put it out there - but did Mr. D kiss you goodnight? Was there a slap involved? I mean, you did make mention of his shoe size and I'm wondering if your new guy was able to at least give you a kiss. LOL
ReplyDeleteI'll look forward to your post tomorrow. Good luck.
caveman.
Well the caveman here has asked my question was there a kiss? And I have to say he gives good advise Liz. :D
DeleteSomeone Else Mother
Naughty readers. I'm one girl that just will NEVER kiss and tell. teehee
DeleteLiz, This post sounds very promising. Best man at wedding? Small world. Glasses? Yellow rose? As for your list...true confession...so do I. As a freelance musician...that is the only way I can keep track. I saw a flick back in the 90's called the Christmas List with Mimi Rogers. Hey, she got her special guy in the end...I'm optimistic that you will too. Sounds like "sweet times" ahead! ~Jen Red~
ReplyDeletePS Loved the links...and the poochies were adorable!
Hi Jen! Isn't that amazing - that is a coincidence. Here I met Mr. D through an ad campaign and it turns out he's the best man at my sister's wedding. Thank goodness someone understands my lists. Oh, I once saw that movie. Typical Hallmark romance, but boy was I able to identify with her - especially since her mother was wacky, too. Thanks, girlfriend. Keep your fingers crossed for me on Thursday. :)
DeleteI was grinning while reading this, Liz! Glad you had a great night and a good surprise for once!
ReplyDeleteYour Mr. D is going to make me swoon. Yellow roses are my favorite. I think you have nothing to worry about for Thursday.
Love the links!
Hi Castity - Hey, welcome to my blog and thanks for not calling me a lunatic, nor taking me to task about JL. I'm going into Thursday with an open mind and my lips suitably read to kiss that beautiful man. Did I mention the curve of his bottom lip? Yum. Glad my date tonight made you as near giddy as I feel. ~Liz
DeleteWow Liz! What a coincidence....LOL or maybe its FATE. Whichever you believe, i'm glad that you and Mr. December found common ground and that you are now eagerly anticipating your date on Thursday. Now, I don't want you to check out his size 12 SHOES or anything... (snort) but some serious flirting and maybe a little groping wouldn't be bad..Seriously, you gotta give us something to live on..., vicariously as it may be.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure you will have a GREAT time. Be sure to fill us in. We've ONLY been on this roller coaster with you. We need to know its all working out for you. Ciao, Baby! (favorite restaurant)
You are so right, Elicia. I know I have to give you something, but I'm really quite tight lipped about such things. Gosh, I don't even think I'd be able to share with Charlotte if "anything" like that happened. I'll tell you what, if I mention the size of his shoes again, then you'll know. ;) Thanks for being so happy that I've perhaps turned a corner in the dating endeavor. Fate? We'll see. Sadie talks of a bashert, but I don't know. Hugs til tomorrow ~L
DeleteInternally, I am jumping for joy in glee for you, Liz! I'm glad you finally had a good date, and with such a hunk at that! This comment will be a bit short though as I've had only about 3 hours sleep in the last 36 hours trying to catch up with orders... internally, coz I'm too tired to get my ass out of this chair waiting to get my second wind... coffee doesn't seem to work anymore. lol Happy dating!
ReplyDeleteBtw... does this mean you have a date for the wedding already? Looks like a given!
Hi Hot Pepper! You have intrigued me. Orders? You bake for a living? Oh my. I LOVE cookies, but I've been sworn off them for so long now. Do get some sleep, hon. I appreciate your staying up to read my blog. Now, don't overwork yourself, because you must enjoy the Christmas season!
DeleteAs for the wedding, we have to see yet. I'll let you know when i get home on Thursday night and give you and update on Mr. D. Thank, K
Glad the 'date' worked out better than anticipated - so you are going with the flow regarding those who do have your best interests at heart, but I believe you will tell them to butt out in the future, particularly if you get the opportunity to talk more about his shoe size...
ReplyDeleteSounds like Charlie's sister is a piece of work. Those poor dogs. I have 2 cocker spaniels who definitely don't fit in designer bags and I believe are much happier as a result…
Good luck for thursday…we need information about a kiss at least! (wink)
Hi Ann! It was such a fun night and Charlie's sister, much to her dismay, gave us so material. I was actually thankful for Jane and Charlie's little matchmaking evening. Perhaps I might have been p.o'd if it was anyone else, but the coincidence of it being Mr. D was incredibly fortuitous. I know I promised to tell you about the shoe size, but I just may keep that one secret to myself! teehee
DeleteOh, cockers are wonderful pets and they are purebreeds. You are so lucky! Thanks, Ann. I'll checking after my date if I can. :)
Now that things are looking up for you, I can rest a lot easier. For a while there I though JL was going to ruin Christmas (and you life) again. Glad to know that you are over him, girlfriend.
ReplyDeleteAnd as for your list, it seems that Santa has it and has sent the perfect man your way (not to knock your matchmaker in any way!). The Big Guy just happens to KNOW everything, doesn't he?
Looking forward to your mention of his shoe size again!
Hi Anon. :) Thank you for your concern. Of course this was only a first date, we'll see what Thursday brings, but I have a really good feeling. He promised to call me tomorrow to tell me what to wear. Much better than someone else we all know, and you know I am not going to let him ruin me a second time. Maybe all these matchmakers are actually Santa's elves. :)
DeleteThanks, sweetie Talk to you soon
OMG -- It sounds as though last night was everything you could have hoped for. I'm living vicariously through you, and I do not know how we will make it to Thursday night. Why didn't Mr D ask you about tonight or tomorrow night?
ReplyDeleteI'll tell you Lisay, I was really surprised by mr. D. I'm really happy that tonight's date made you so happy. It did for me too. He was everything a gentleman should be. We'll he didn't ask about tomorrow night because he mentioned to Charlie that he was working the midnight tour at The Cave. We'll, I'll keep your excitement in my heart on Thursday and I'll wish for a very special Mr. D for you,too. Thanks, friend.
DeleteI was just thinking how fortunate you are to be able to wear your sister's clothing. Not all of us are close enough in body shape/size to do that. And that was one heck of a dress to be able to borrow! You had to look fabulous.
ReplyDelete-Linnea
Hi there Linnea, you have such a beautiful name. Lucky for me, my sister has beautiful clothing. I suppose I am lucky that our shapes are similar. Although I am more curvy than she is. We are both tall. That dynamite dress she bought for only forty dollars in Chinatown. What a steal. Hey, I'll see you on Thursday. Thank you tons. ~L
DeleteLiz, darling..your inner beauty is your best asset-- truly amazing! But-- It doesn't hurt to dress up the outside every once in a while--Mr. December couldn't keep his eyes off you...You looked beautiful! Ahh..the yellow rose, what a romantic this Mr. December is turning out to be. He has managed to remember the "little" things you like and frankly, you have to see the man really cares for you. He doesn't haven't to do any of this to get a woman --hint hint--the hoochie--I mean poochie mama--just waiting in the wings. I can' t wait to hear about your date w/ Mr. Yum-Yum..I mean December on Thursday! ~OF.
ReplyDelete