Pages

Saturday, December 21, 2013

4 Days 'Til Xmas

... And yet more regrets.

Hello my friends!   Thank you all so much for your advice and kindness.  I really appreciate the wisdom imparted to help me arrive at the conclusions I have.  This is a long post, so grab your glass of wine or coffee or whatever.

What makes a person unlucky?  And do you have to be superstitious to believe that you are?  Is there really such a thing as luck?  I'll let you be the judge.
un·luck·y
1. Subjected to or marked by misfortune.
2. Resulting or likely to result in misfortune; inauspicious.
3. Not producing the desired outcome; disappointing.

I ask these questions because the situation I now find myself in causes me to reflect - is it really luck or something else entirely?


Am I unlucky? No.  Perhaps, I am just a self-fulfilling prophecy at this point, determined to unconsciously ruin every good thing that comes my way.  

Between sleeping and feeling pitiful today, I watched "It's a Wonderful Life," wondering that age old question, what if things had been different?  What if I had been born on the third or the eighteenth in the summer, on a Tuesday?  That's all superstition!  What if I had been born a boy?  What if my parent's were different or I had been an only child?  What if I never dated the most popular boy in high school?

None of it matters.  After a batch of sugar cookies and a box of Whitman chocolates, the majority of the day was spent coming to see, that it's what you do with your situation, as opposed to what your situation does to you.  Lemons or lemonade / chicken shit or chicken salad.  None of it is bad luck or good luck.

All day I felt pretty crappy about myself, not because of perceived unluckiness but because I had maligned Mr. December. From the start, I had accused him of being arrogant and deceitful.  I had deliberately overlooked every good, sterling, and genuinely perfect characteristic in him.  These are the regrets I mention in my title, the hugest regrets!  I could have chosen to make lemonade but I remained afraid of even getting squirted in the eye in the process.

Certainly, I cannot claim that making love to him was a regret, but rather making love to him while under the influence was.  I do not regret telling him how I felt in reply to his declaration during the heat of our passion, but I regret not reiterating those feelings the following day - in the sober, light.  I do not regret sharing a part of myself with him on our date, that had been walled in since high school, but I chose to pull it back from him forever when faced with his sneaky undercover detective work on the blog.

He was right - I've been convinced, either by myself or others, that I can never be worthy or special enough to deserve a man such as him.  I do find it hard to believe that he could love me as he claims, in spite of all my short-comings and imperfections, but he does and I believe him. 

The biggest shortcoming was my quickness to find fault with him after our initial meeting at the tree lighting.  What I failed to miss along the way was his expressive attention, which made me feel beautiful and desired.  I ignored his sense of humor and willingness to take what I dished out.  I willfully misunderstood each and every deliberate attempt to be near me.  His compassion, concern and commitment to others while putting his own safety aside shows a heart that loves generously.  

I acknowledge that Mr. December's true and only motive for reading and commenting on this blog was to fulfill my Christmas wish and make it the most special season.  It was my misinterpretation that destroyed his attempt and sucked the spirit out of the last three weeks.  He wanted to understand me and shower me with the magic he felt I deserved.  That is something that no man, not even my father, has done for me.  I could not recognize his true, heartfelt, intent.  I was shortsighted, nay BLIND, and, what I did in turn was suck the spirit out of his Christmas.  

Letting Mr. December go wasn't bad luck, unlucky or a misfortune.  It was just plain and simple stupidity. I lied when I said I didn't feel anything for him.  Now the question remains, what am I going to do about it?  I know you will be delighted when I tell you I will try to find my voice and put aside my fears - there is yet a Gala to attend, and if he still wants me, gives me a sign, I'll do my level best to make this right.  I will see to it that there are no more misunderstandings between us.

Thank you, again for all your advice and wisdom.  It does a girl's heart good to know people actually care.

Well friends, I believe Kelly Clarkson says it best from the movie "Love Actually"  "The Trouble with Love Is"

18 comments:

  1. Aww Liz, I'm crying this side of cyber space. I find it so hard to forge ahead and learn a tough lesson too. But one thing for sure, I am very proud of you on this one. Self-examination is painful but sometimes necessary if you want to move forward. And you are, girlfriend! No matter what happens between you and December, you have learned something about yourself that is invaluable. I'm not sure what it will take, but I know that you will don your best to figure it out with December. Lots of love coming your way from this side of cyber space. Go To, Girl! Jen Red

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen, your kindness along the way has been so uplifting and model to me of how to deal with my sister, especially, during her rough patch. Barb spoke of forgiveness yesterday, and I really believe that is what Jane needs.

      This self examination may have taken ten years, but I hope to make the most of it and everything else that comes my way. :) Thank you!!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous9:19 AM

    Liz, find a way to let him know how you feel. It will turn out well in the end. Remember, you hurt him yesterday so he may not be able to give you the sign or you may misunderstand each others signs right now. He still loves you though. It's time to be direct, be brave, and let the black widow fight for what she wants. Best wishes go with you tonight.

    Kara M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:31 AM

    :) The Gala, to bad you can't talk before it and go together. :) I offer you another (Left /right squeeze tight)
    Someone Else Mother

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SEM I feel your cyber hugs all the time, so thank you. I did try to call Mr. D today, but his phone went straight to vm. If I remember correctly he did tell me that he was working, so that must be it. Right? Right! Tomorrow is only a few hours away. I have nails to polish and hairstyles to practice. I feel better already. :) Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Lizzy baby, You are not thinking about this clearly. Don't look for a sign from Mr D, give HIM a sign. Frankly, you don't read him very well and it's a good bet that you will misinterpret whatever he says or does. The only way to be certain that your regrets are communicated is to be open with him. Men of substance [as my good friend Knightley says] do not change how they feel about a woman overnight, not even after a nuclear explosion.

    I know you can do it! The only thing I don't know is how I will be able to wait until the end of tomorrow night to find out what happens. Sigh! That is what I get for living vicariously through you, and not facing my own demons. Maybe I will some day.

    In the meantime, do something positive and go comfort Jane.

    Love ya babe,
    Lisay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Lisay, you bring tears to my eyes. Your lifting up makes me feel so special. Thank you.

      So, you know Mr. Knightly, too. :) Yes, I should pay attention to what he says more often. You are correct about my many misunderstandings of Mr. D. I'll give HIM a sign, I won't wait. I'll be open and honest. If only I will be able to control my nerves. Looks like I'm going to have to don my Black Widow before I pee my pants in anxiety. Maybe I'll make a list of things to say. That'll help me. )

      Okay, well I promise as soon as I come home from the Gala I will blog. Don't you worry. As for your demons, dear friend, if I can battle with them - even with the knowledge that I may stumble and fall (and probably break my nose in the process) anyone can. YOU can! You can reach inside of yourself and find that voice you've quieted. Together, lets not live the rest of our lives, as the people other's attempted to mold us into. k? I'm determined to be Lizzy, and my role model is Charlotte - right brained, free-spirited, confident and generous with her heart, advice and support. She is someone who carries the spirit of Christmas in her heart 24/7.

      Love you back and THANK YOU!! ~Liz

      Delete
    2. I just saw your response to SEM -- I am so very very very pleased that you phoned Mr D. Hopefully his phone is like mine. It should show a missed call by you. I am certain very few people have his number so this could pave the way for you tomorrow night.

      Delete
  5. Liz, I'm so proud of you! And I know it must have taken a lot to do this self-evaluation and admit it all here on the blog.

    I don't know about waiting for a sign. As Lisay says, his feelings will not have changed overnight. Secondly, your date might get in the way, think of the photo shoot. Unless you put him the path of a bimbo, but I have this feeling JL still sees you as a sure thing and would rather not expend effort on a maybe situation. Lastly, you still ought to apologize even if you don't get a sign from him. And who knows if you will even get a chance to speak with him. His aunt is the founder, right? She might have plans for him. And no one could blame him for thinking that you opening up to him on one or two nights was a fluke and that you still hate him and always have, and therefore he will want to give you space for both of your sake's.

    You are still the Black Widow and this life is your ring. Take charge! Don't give up on the fight until the match is clearly over. Good luck! I hope it's a great night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:50 AM

    Atta girl, Liz! Now you know yourself a heck of lot better than you did before this dating thing began. Whatever happens with Mr. D (and if he was crazy enough to go to such lengths to please you, I have feeling he still wants you as much as he did before - if not more) you're better prepared to live your life well.

    - Linnea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kayenne12:29 PM

    Your post lightens my heart tremendously! I'm glad that you've resolved or is on your way to resolving your own personal issues and can see your way to a happier and more fulfilling life - hopefully, with Mr. D right beside you.

    If you can't get through to his phone, maybe try his sister... I think it is a good omen that you already get along with G. ;)

    So, does this mean more cookies for me now? =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:21 PM

    All you need to do is send him a two word text - "I lied."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:15 PM

    Liz, You have done a lot of soul searching in a short amount of time. It's a great start.

    Don't wait for Mr. D to give you a sign... I think he has done that already. Telling someone that they love you is a sign that he accepts you as you are. You aren't unlucky, you aren't worthless, you aren't needy, and you aren't at the end of the road. This is a new beginning.

    If he didn't answer the phone, he probably is working. Give the firehouse a call or even stop by. My hubby is a LEO... he and his FF buddies love getting visits at the PD and firehouse. It connects them to life outside of work. And, my dear, you are Mr. D's life. He loves you.
    Hugs
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're going to wait until the gala? You need to find him NOW!!! Have you tried his cell? What about calling Georgiana? He is a firefighter, is he at the station? Go see him, clear the air and show him how much you care. Do not wait.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Or....expand that to my 3 favorite little words...I Love You! Then again...in person might be better for those 3.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done Liz - we cannot change other people and what they think or say, but we can change ourselves, and set boundaries of what behaviour we will and will not accept from other people.

    It seems like you have found a man you can really trust with your heart, who loves you for you. Dump JL as soon as you get to the Gala!

    You note that you are going to let Mr D know…can't wait to find out what you do.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Call him up, will you? Not exactly traditional, but this is the 21st century! I know someone from California who had a similar situation to yours. She got into a fight with somebody and wasn't able to really express how she felt. In the end, she realized that she was afraid of rejection and decided to take that chance.

    He appeared at her house on her birthday and she showed him EXACTLY how he felt by kissing him.

    Take my advice: Call him, apologize, and kick JL to the curb.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Liz, I'm glad that you've taken the 'advice' given and sorted through it. A lot of it makes sense and the fact that you are willing to humble yourself to him will go a very long way to showing him your true self. He deserves that much after he laid his heart out. Be strong, don't let him walk away from you at the gala. And if Caroline is there and making trouble;drop kick her into next week. Good luck. Will you blog before or after the gala?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.