Pages

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

14 Days 'Til Xmas

That Christmassy Feel

Hello my friends!  Well, what news do I have for you today? No dating update but other reflections to offer.  Following the heated photoshoot, I have recovered the humiliation of my grease job to Mr. December.  No further comment to report other than the fact that my hand still tingles, but that's a story for another time - after let's say five or six apple martinis.

Today was another new beginning for me.  What began as already not so normal holiday season workday erupted into a full-blown, child-like Christmas, initiated by my wonderful assistant who reminded me that the holidays are so much more than than the traditions most of us have enjoyed throughout the years.  Sometimes we have to infuse the season with something new and exciting.  


A quick trip to FAO Schwarz infected me in the best possible way with everything the season holds.  Like a kid I hugged teddy bears and played with Barbie dolls, that look very different from the ones I grew up with.  I built a Lego monster, that looked very similar to my mother when she wears her old foam curlers, and I watched two very enthusiastic and talented salesgirls skip across the keyboard of the Big Piano (which sells for a hefty 300 grand.)  Their feet energetically created "Carol of the Bells" and it was then that I truly knew this was a magical season. This year - 2013 - is the best holiday season ever! (yes even in spite of the lesbian profile, freaky and frustrating speed dating, trip to Meryton, and my mortification during the auditions.)

Here's a clip of the Big Piano in action:

Following my shopping excursion and success in finding ten various glass and plastic ornaments, tucked in my beautiful red shopping bag, I then met up with a new acquaintance for lunch down at my favorite little haunt C'Est Bon Cafe.  Walking along 57th Street toward Madison Avenue while singing "Hot Chocolate" from the movie "Polar Express," got me in the mood, and I promptly gave into the sugar-laden, whipped cream topped delight once I arrived at the cafe.  Not to mention it was twenty-eight degrees with a wind-chill factor of nineteen.  Needless to say, I was chilled to the bone. So, my new friend is an incredible young woman who has an infectious laugh and a vibrant zest for life.  Miss G is an aspiring cellist who has a definite career path planned out: Philharmonic audition next year.  We had a great time and made plans to meet again.  I was shocked when G invited me to spend Christmas Day with her and her brother after he brings gifts to needy children.  A brother whom she is very eager to set me up with.  He sounds like every girl's dream catch and definitely someone I'd be willing to meet.  I know, I know, I've had my fill of blind dates even if I only went on one, but this guy sounds perfect.   I was surprised by G's offer, she doesn't even know me - but again - it was the spreading of that holiday joy the season is known for, the giving and receiving of kindness.  You know what?  I just may consider going and finally tell my mother to shove ...  Sorry, that's not ladylike and certainly not Christmas charitable.  

Well that wasn't the end of our lunch.  I tell you, G was so filled with the holiday spirit that when we exited the cafe and walked to the corner of 56th and Madison there were two Salvation Army cadets with their kettle.  No, they weren't just ringing their bell, they were dancing to Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas."  Could you believe it!?  MY song!!  The Blog's Title!!  Wouldn't you know it, within seconds both G and I joined the men in singing and dancing in the freezing cold with onlookers gathering and the donations dropping into that little red kettle. Somewhere between Mariah singing  "I just want you for my own" and "More than you could ever know."  I literally took the hair clip from my hair, releasing it from its confines.  What a blast!  I literally and figuratively Let My Hair Down and it felt great! Note to new friend:  If you've decided to follow the blog, G, here's an official shout out for helping to make my day so special!  Thank you! Below are a couple of cadets from last year, so you can get an idea of what fun we had.  I bet you'll be in the holiday mood, too.

Ho, Ho I cannot forget to mention, that my boss and the founder of the Burn Foundation are both over-the-top happy about the campaign.  Charlotte is getting a fat check of appreciation from the founder because apparently she knew that it's Charlotte's superb work gracing the calendar, not JL's. Oh, and it seems I made the news on Monday (no I haven't seen it, but thank you all for letting me know what was televised.  I don't want to watch my hand smear oil on Mr. December.  No need to, the image is forever burned in my brain thankyouverymuch.)

Here's our song for today, a happy song in honor of my splurge and my new friend - Polar Express "Hot Chocolate"
Song on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaD8O2RiVIc

P.S. Yesterday on my way to the boxing studio, I saw Mr. December chatting up the blonde receptionist at my gym - another blonde.  Sheesh.  I could hear her laughter above the Christmas music. 

25 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:20 AM

    *~*~Wowza, Liz! Your blog is totally awesome. I love it! <333. I'll definitely be hanging around here so I can follow all your dating experiences. I've already signed up to follow - see that's me with the Yankee's ballcap.

    I had a really great time today and I can't wait to get together again real soon. Hey, maybe my matchmaking skills will work. ;) Forget Mr. December and JL because I am pretty sure that after a blind date with my cool brother, your search will be over!

    Later, Ad GF! :-D

    Georgie *<|:o)>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super! I'm so happy you popped into the blog G! It'll do my heart good to have you cheering me on. You're a breath of fresh air and meeting you really helped me rise out of the doldrums I was feeling.

      Love the piccie of you! I love baseball, but as a Long Islander I've always been a Mets fan. Does your brother play softball? Is he athletic at all? You never mentioned. Of course, a man who can sing and dance, scores points on my list. ;) I'm looking forward to possibly meeting him.

      Glad you're here! ~Liz

      Delete
  2. 'Morning Liz! Wow! Another great day for you! I just knew that things would start looking up. Super! You hooked up with someone who can get you in the holiday spirit. I love the piano at FAO S. I've often thought about picking up a part-time job there during holidays just so I could give it the once over. You see, Cello G and I have something in common since I play violin & piano. The music connection gives me good vibes...Hey! Wouldn't it be something if her brother was the real McCoy? Thinking positive. Meanwhile it's snowing here and I am drinking a huge cup of hot chocolate before I go off to work. Have a great day Liz! ~Jen Red~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Jen! You and your chocolate. See what you did? You got me started and Alex is going to kill me on Saturday when I hit the gym.

      Wow you play the violin and piano? Did you study in NYC? I'm impressed. I think it would be funny if this guy was the real McCoy, given that I met his sister after Mr. December, who everyone is rooting for, gyrating and singing! LOL

      FAO is the best holiday thing to do. I vow to make it a tradition now. Now if only I can get to see my FAVORITE holiday movie - on stage - "A Christmas Story" then, apart from my success at finding a date, this would be a perfect holiday! Thanks Jen, my other musical friend! ~L

      Delete
    2. Liz...just got back from work. I can't believe you said "A Christmas Story." I'm playing keyboards in the pit at the Garden. Plus I got to coach some of the singers in rehearsal. Wow! If you can get one of your dates to take you, that would be awesome! Tonight was opening night and we run through the 29th. Hope you can make it. ~Jen Red~

      Delete
  3. Anonymous11:01 AM

    Hey Liz - I just stumbled onto your blog. For the record, I'm a guy and if the image of a man's pecs are burned on your brain - you are plain and simply hot for him. Lie all you want to yourself, you just, frankly, sound afraid.

    My suggestion to you is go out with JL and realize he is still a jerk. Go out with your speed date and go out with G's brother. Maybe one of the latter two men will give you that same reaction as Mr. December. Good luck and know that I'm rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caveman. Clicking on your profile brings up a very interesting photo of you, and I see that Kayenne is intrigued. Tell us, are you single? Is your advice born from experience - a woman whose image is burned on your brain? I think you may be our one and only male on the blog and all of us would love to learn more. Thanks for coming by and thanks for your encouragement!!

      Now, am I afraid? Of Mr. December? I'm more afraid of my mother's meatloaf. :)

      Hopefully, you'll come back and visit us tomorrow! ~Liz

      Delete
    2. Anonymous2:34 PM

      Yes Liz, I speak from experience. I'll be back!

      Delete
    3. Caveman - if your heart is spoken for why are you hanging around a dating blog? Looking for tips to delight your loved one? Just wondering...

      Delete
  4. Liz, it sounds like you had a blast today. I would love to see a pic of your tree once it's decorated. Enjoy the season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have so much fun, Maggie. I'll try to remember to take a picture. I've misplaced my List notebook and have to buy a new one. Yeah, I know, you're probably happy about my lists disappearing! LOL Thank you, hon. You enjoy yourself, too.

      Delete
  5. Kayenne12:58 PM

    Hi Liz! I was going to ask how you are holding out... but I'm glad to see you having a great day! It's lovely here as well, though not as freezing as NY! I'm jealous! No hot guys in my gym today! sigh... I guess I just have to live vicariously through you! Wanna trade? A couple dozens very yummy, fudgy chocolate espresso cookies for one of your hot guys!

    Hey Caveman! I think you're cute! Wanna go out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am doing great! How are you? Another date on the horizon? Don't be jealous of NYC this time of year. I bet where you live is simply wonderful. As for the men at the gym, I hardly notice. Usually I am very focused, but something about that woodsy aftershave caught my attention and sure enough there he was probably hitting on the class coordinator at the front desk. Sheesh. No cookies for me - bad enough I had that hot chocolate! K, are you hitting on Caveman?

      Delete
    2. Anonymous2:32 PM

      It's a pleasure to meet you, Kayenne. Obviously, you appreciate a man with good hair. Thank you. As tempting as your offer is, my heart is spoken for and I venture to guess - for the rest of my life. I wish you luck in finding the man of your dreams.

      Delete
    3. Kayenne12:59 PM

      Hey Liz! Ah.. I meant jealous for having sooo many dates on the horizon! Definitely not because it's not freezing here! Weatherman says 24C tonight... but feels like 18C or 20C in here! Hmm... I would say, trust your instincts, but sometimes instincts can go wrong. I'd say, trust your nose! I sure do!

      Hunky Caveman - of course... nothing like good hair to attract ladies! Lucky girl... whoever she is! I hope she realizes what a caveman she has in you and see that underneath all that , is a heart of gold. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad to read such an upbeat post! I think you've got me sold on needing to experience NYC at Christmas. It seems like you've really had a great day and are turning a corner on your last few ones. I would be dying to see that video footage if I were you, heck I'm not you and I wish I could see it! But since you sound firm, at least it seems like you are managing the embarrassment.

    I'm glad you're able to give a few other men a chance and didn't have time to reply to the last post, but I'm not so sure about JL. I just hope nostalgia doesn't interfere with present day. I'm assuming you guys lost touch when you left for college and that's why you haven't seen him in so many years? Was this before you met Mr. Jerk?

    I know I told you to toss that list but with so many opportunities I can certainly see the need to keep them all in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose. If you ever come to NYC you must email me. I might even let you impart all your wisdom over a few apple martinis! I'm feeling great today, not just because of meeting a new friend and feeling alive during this Christmas season, but because the founder of the FDBurn Foundation made it a point to praise Charlotte and all her hard work. She deserves the kudos and especially the monetary reward.

      I'm terribly sorry for not answering the last post. This campaign is really kicking my butt, but it's going to be a success! It's such a great cause. Nostalgia. Key word. We did have fun, but we were young. He wasn't kind in the end, and I later found out he had a crush on my sister, but we're grown up now and in truth, that's part of the reason I'm going with him on Sunday. Like a Jerry Springer show, I want him to see the woman I have become, acknowledge that I'm no longer that ugly duckling, respect my career and me. I want to give him the opportunity to take me somewhere special because he never did. I need the satisfaction of showing him that I've stood on my own two feet, swimmingly, without him. It's important to me that JL sees and acknowledges this.

      That 36 point list will never be forgotten. When you come to NYC I'll share it with you, although, you found your Mr. Knightly without one. ;) Thanks Rose!!

      Delete
    2. That's great the the founder praised Charlotte so much! Did you get to meet him/her?

      I'm glad to read that your intentions are to gain some respect from JL just don't sell yourself short that he is the best or only option for your Christmas date. Or that it needs to only be a Christmas date. You don't have to think about forever but you don't need to assume no one would want you for a real relationship either.

      I've never met JL but right now I am wishing I had your kickboxing skills for the way he treated you. I do not think it was ever about you. It was never that you were not beautiful enough or deficient in any other way. I bet he just doesn't know how to respect women or anyone other than himself.

      I did have a list, it just wasn't always in my mind while getting to know my Mr. Right. Once I knew him, I could see how he fit all of my criteria. And Mr. Knightley? No, my guy is much more broody and sometimes sullen. He can anger me like no one else- but that fire translates in other things too! And underneath that demeanor is a really sweet, caring and sensitive man who feels things very deeply. His mother died when he was young and he was still very much mourning her loss when we met. But I hope you find a Mr. Knightley, if that's your wish!

      Delete
  7. Hey Liz, this post is far more upbeat and sounds like you are really getting into the Christmas spirit. Letting your hair down you say? To me you are still caught up with Mr December - he seems to feature in each of your blogs…so he must have some connection with you or otherwise you wouldn't bother to mention him. Just saying. Looking at the youtube (again) he gets under my skin too in the nicest possible way.

    I remain circumspect about JL - he may have spun a line on you in the past, those types rarely change.

    Who is in charge of the FD Burns Foundation? Have you met them yet?

    Miss G's option for Christmas day sounds like a much better option that lunch with your mother. Do you really need another day of her sniping or are you hoping to impress her with a hot new man - don't even suggest it to JL.

    Noticed we now have a guy posting to your blog - Caveman? Could it be one of the guys from the Fire Department? Looking forward to seeing what you get up to next

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am getting into the Christmas Spirit! I'm going to spend the night tonight watching Polar Express!! It was a great day and it felt wonderful to literally let my hair down.

      I suppose the reason I talk about him so much is because he has found his way to making my blood boil and getting under my skin, probably to piss me off. LOL
      STOP THE PRESSES: Mr. December is on YouTube? You mean the news report, right? Otherwise I don't think I want to know. Wait ... this could help the campaign. send me that link! I'll get Amanda to Twitter it and post it on the Calendar's Facebook.

      Mrs. deBourgh is the Foundation's founder and she's on Facebook too!

      I haven't yet considered not going to my mothers for Christmas. Mary, my sister, needs me. I am the only thing that stands in my mother's way of abusing Mary. I'm tougher than she is. It's complicated.

      Caveman seems nice. I'm glad we have a guy posting now. *snort* do you really think one of those firefighters would take the time to read a woman's dating blog? Good thought though, but since none of them know anything about me, it's unlikely. Even Mr. December doesn't know anything about me beyond his dislike of my appearance and my "acerbic tongue."

      See you tomorrow, Ann! Thanks for commenting today. I'm sure you have lots to do. :)

      Delete
  8. Anonymous2:52 PM

    Hey Liz, Loved the post today! At least you seem upbeat and that's a plus! Loved the look at the Big Apple as I have never been there! Would love to go in F.A.O Swartz at sometime in my life. :)

    Glad G is turning out to be a good friend and have to say her brother sounds just perfect. So keep your spirits up and explore every option! I do mean every! Who knows Mr. December might turn out to be a nicer person if you got to know him. As for Lucas, knowing how he dumped you in the past (thanks to Jane) I wouldn't give him the time of day. But, hey, that's just me. I don't go back for seconds on jerks. Heh heh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon! Thanks for such a positive, upbeat message. Whenever you come to NYC you must have a hot dog and if it's Christmastime, you must see the Rockettes.

      Well, I hope G turns out to be a nice friend. She's certainly a lovely girl and seems to be from a good family, a close family. I am growing more open to the idea of going on another blind date, so I'll see if her brother is interested to do so. As for JL dumping me - oh no! That's not how it happened AT ALL. I dumped him! He was attending Community College and I had just found out he was sleeping with a girl I knew from volleyball - she played for our rival high school. Anyway, I was waiting for him up in his bedroom - to confront him. Charlotte had let me in, and the curious creature in me opened his nightstand drawer. I pulled out a photography manual and began to flip through it and out flew my sister's photograph - teeny, tiny bikini. I think it was from her senior year. I shoved it back in the book, stormed from the house and broke up with him over the phone.

      And that's my story! Thanks, hon!

      Delete
    2. Oh, and it's important to add that my sister was MORTIFIED when I told her, but she was away at University so there was nothing she could do besides use every four letter word in her vocabulary.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous9:29 PM

      Glad you had such a great day! Sounds like you have tons of dating prospects and the matchmaker sounds kind of quirky and fun. Bravo to you for showing JL what you are made of. Sounds like you are clear sighted on him.

      Are you sure that Mrs. deBourgh founded the Burn Foundation? I'm almost positive I read or heard something about that organization and it was not founded by a woman. I could be wrong -that time just sounds wrong somehow.
      Take Liz.

      Kara M



      Delete
  9. Lists and planning are great but sometimes you just need to let your hair down and have fun! You've got some great friends Liz, listen to them! Enjoy decorating your tree!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.