Pages

Sunday, December 15, 2013

10 Days 'Til Xmas

Body Checking, Icing, Cherry Picking!  - Dating Attempt #6

I'm pretty sure, my friends, that you will be happy about my date with J.L.  It was a dating fiasco, and apart from our business arrangement to attend the Foundation Gala together, I have learned that there is nothing to rekindle.  He saw me for the woman I have become and I saw him for the selfish, self-centered boy he remained.


At the end of the night, he had asked me for a second date.  I told him I would see him next week for the gala.

I'll try to think more kindly of J.L and hope that his grope in the taxicab was just a misplaced hand, and that his suggestion of my making an omelet for him the following morning was just a joke reminiscent to his freshman year at Long Island Community College.  

Let me begin at the beginning.  I'll give J.L the benefit of the doubt that tonight's date began with a simple misunderstanding.  Well, he implied and I inferred and that was the beginning of my nightmare at Madison Square Garden.  Although, I have to say I looked pretty darned good for a girl who doesn't do glamour very well.  Jane's dress, my Chanel Russian Red lipstick and new Louboutins, which set me back $800, painted quite the picture.  He implied, a special date.  I read into it to mean "A Christmas Story" at the MSG Theater.  He took me instead to a hockey game! Yes, I was disappointed. 

Chilled to the bone at rink side seats, there was a significant amount of icing.  The girls, showing their share of enticement, resulted in more than enough body checking, and a surprise act of kindness caused me to do a little bit of cherry picking as a power play unfolded between Mr. December and J.L.  All suitable hockey terms from what I experienced.

J.L, as usual, bloviated to me about his success and his earnings.  I could live with that, after all, such were the men I'd been dating over the last few years, but truth be told, from J.L, I wanted and expected more and hoped he had finally matured.   You see, although checkered and not always happy, J.L and I have a history that goes back to the fourth grade.  It made me feel bad when never once did he ask about BADCo or my interests.  Even conversation about kickboxing would have been nice, anything - books, music, theater.  He made me feel as insignificant as my mother always does.  I became aware that I was nothing more than arm candy last night.  For the first time in my life, I became someone's arm candy and as flattering as that felt for a girl like me, it felt empty at the end of the night.  


Somewhere between our arrival at Madison Square Garden and the second period of the game - delivered with the final coup de grace of his yelling that the NY Rangers' goaltender was an "inert pile of crap," I was pretty much done for the evening.  

I can't ignore The Black Widow who acknowledges that J.L only wants a playmate to keep him company while he is back in town.  Perhaps, he thinks his Honeybee will buzz again and pollinate his world with her honey.   

There was more to the evening, and this I find most intriguing.  I have to admit, Mr. December really hasn't been too far from my thoughts these days, and as is our usual fashion, he was there at the game.  No, I didn't actually get to see him, but he must have been sitting within view of me because he knew I was freezing my butt off.  At some point using my coat as a blanket because it seemed more useful than wearing it, and besides, John kept talking me out of it, telling me how beautiful I looked - compliments that only Char and you have expressed.   J.L's good at that and in many ways I'm still susceptible to his influence - a bad thing, I know.  

Anyway,  Mr. Generous Hot Bod sent me an incredibly warm and thoughtful gift from the Ranger store - a RED fleece jacket!  He remembered that I like red, having previously complimented my pencil skirt at the photoshoot.  His note said "he cared."  Apparently more than the man sitting beside me, right?  A man I have only known for under two weeks, noticed I was cold and took care of me, remembered I liked red, and already is taking an interest in my kickboxing.  I can't help but to scratch my head and wonder, what's next with this guy?  He surprises me time and again.  Let's see what happens on our date.  Mr. December has promised it to be memorable.  I venture to guess he meant in comparison to the one I was on last night.  Now ... if I can just figure out how he knew I call him 'Mr. December'... 

I'm writing this with small letters, because I'm terrified to admit that Mr. Gorgeous Blue eyes just checked off another three points from my criteria.
  
Here's a happy, optimistic little song from Coca-Cola.  I'm sharing it because I am inspired by the thoughtfulness of one very hot, very sexy fireman.  "Wonderful Dream." 

23 comments:

  1. Kayenne1:08 AM

    Now you have me idolizing you for martyrdom! I'd have checked out early from that date with J.L. with him being so obnoxious and purposely oblivious... especially considering your previous connection! Well, I'm glad that you've finally seen him for who he still really is!

    I'd say, ditch him for the gala as well! Ask Mr. December out instead! Geez.. a gesture like that would have melted me into a warm gooey puddle like fresh caramel! Plus points for the color pick! I love red too! (My phone, laptop, laptop bag, external hard drive and case - among others, are all red!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you of all people, K, would tell me to have left. Do you want to know why I didn't? Ssh... don't tell anyone... I was hoping Mr. D would come find me. After the jacket came, I think I found every excuse to go to the ladies room, concession, store. I wanted to thank him (and see him.) So no, my heart wasn't engaged by J.L.

      It is too soon to ask Mr. D out. Heck I was scared to ask my trainer out, and I know him for close to a year. Besides, my boss really thinks that J.L appearance near the charity could bring alot of press. He is VERY celebrity in the world of photojournalism. It's only business and I made sure he knew that on the way home - after he put his hand on my knee. Don't worry about me, chica.

      So you're a red girl! It's a power color you know. It takes command in the boardroom and let's men know that you're not to be second guessed. Hey, I'll see you on Tuesday. Tomorrow Char blogs.

      Delete
  2. Oh Liz, I'm sorry that your date with the jerk was so disappointing. Even if you love hockey the date you were with would make it sucks for anyone. At least you have the date with Mr December to look forward to even if it is with a little trepidation.

    Kayenne has the right idea. Of course you don't know if Mr December would be a good date yet but switching out JL is not a bad idea. You already know he will be a terrible date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, E, I was disappointed more for him - his world is so small - him. He'll never find love, purpose, charity, friendship and what he gives back to the world is only for his self purpose, which negates its worth. I feel sad for him, having not grown up. I AM looking forward to my date with Mr. D, especially now. And if he's a jerk, too, well then at least he knows I can kick his arse. LOL

      See you soon my dear and thanks for weighing in.

      Delete
  3. Mr December is so thoughtful!
    Yes, I would suggest you to do as Kayenne says: take him to the gala instead of JL!
    Maja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy the votes are tallying for Mr. D to be my date at the Gala. I venture to guess he will be there, after all his cousin is the Chairman of the Foundation's Board. I am in attendance from a professional standpoint, not socially.

      Thanks sweet, Maja

      Delete
  4. Anonymous8:33 AM

    Liz did J.L. let you wear the Rangers Fleece Jacket? After all he kept you taking off your coat cause you looked so good? He has met Mr December at the Photo shoot after all he stopped you from finishing your job of Oiling up Mr D. So my thought as to why he signed it Mr December is because the p.o.c. you were next to would know that it was he who sent it. :D Just my thought.
    I'm hoping that Mr D held your new jacket next to him to warm it and add a special scent to the lining? Oh if only there were such a man for a larger grandma around. :D
    I'm so confident that you will find success in your quest for a Christmas Diner Date
    as well as . . .
    S.E.M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I call you mom in the best of terms, because your advice is that which I wish my own had imparted and you have such a caring heart. Thank you for that. JL was not happy when I promptly put that jacket on. Soft and cuddly like a warm hug and a hot cocoa, oh and there WAS a trace scent of that woodsy cologne. *swoon*. Excellent thought about tipping his hat in front of JL, like I said, a bit of a power play going on there. You know I have to ask Rick if Mr. D has a grandfather who is single or father divorced/widowed. We can try to play matchmaker. When I finally catch up with Rick again, because Lawd knows Charlotte is keeping him busy, I'll ask.

      Thanks SEM - big hugs to you

      Delete
  5. I seriously want to see you get JL in the ring. He made you feel insignificant but compliments you. That is abusive. He intentionally says just enough nice things to keep you interested, to keep you from seeing his full game.

    You are beautiful and for so much more than your looks, but you are certainly hot too. Maybe others prefer to consistently show their attraction to all of you rather than just say some cheap words. And it should not make you feel insignificant because he is so immature and is such a narcissist that he can't bother to ask anything about you after years apart. That speaks volumes about his faults, not yours. That you sat and graciously listened says a lot about you and it's not that you're insignificant.

    So sweet that Mr. D saw you at the game and thought of you. I agree with SEM, if he signed it Mr. December perhaps he was just trying to rile JL up a bit? Or to remind you of the photo shoot? But either way, such a gentleman to provide for you but not approach you while on a date with another, who probably would just be confrontational. That's class.

    Did you ever find out what happened with BT? Because the above scenario doesn't mesh with him going neanderthal and beating someone out of jealousy or for the heck of it.

    Well, a sucky date with JL but you learned some useful things about another date, so definitely not a total loss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose you are one funny, gal. Hey maybe I can meet you up at Reebok and teach you a bit about kickboxing. I love to teach and have a detailed syllabus of moves. Then you can kick JL's butt for me. He's not worth my roundhouse kick. I've already kicked him to the curb ten years ago.

      You are too kind in your compliments. I've never thought myself much of anything special with the exception of kickboxing and my career. I must be honest I only listened to JL with half an ear, half the night and the other half I spent visiting the different concession stands on the different levels hoping to catch up with Mr. D to thank him. It was very sweet of him. Hmm, you are right maybe he signed the card Mr. D to remind me of the oiling. *snort* Like I need a reminder of that!

      *hang head in shame* yes, Charlotte told me that I overreacted and that Mr. D made sure that BT left me alone because he was coked out. I swear I had no idea he was doing drugs. I hope Mr. D doesn't think I do. I'm ashamed for the slap and the words and I will apologize as soon as I see him.

      Gotta go, girl. You take care of yourself and have a great week. Thanks for the advice.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous1:59 PM

    Having dated a hockey player in college, knowing you are going to a game is a necessity. Hockey games are for dressing casually in your warmest clothes, not a glamour shoot. JL should have definitely let you know where you were going on your date.

    Glamorous is not the right look for a hockey game. And a hockey game is not really a good venue for catching up and reconnecting.

    Lucky for you, someone noticed you were cold and sent you a jacket, and in your favourite colour too. Lucky, lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lawd, you dated a hockey player? Did you enjoy hockey? I hope so. You are right, JL was selfish. I soooo was looking forward to getting to know him and illuminating him on what and who I have become. Instead, well you know.

      Lucky Me? I'm working on it girlfriend. Thanks Anon.

      Delete
  7. You should've given JL a piece of your mind! Any plans on doing so anytime soon? (I've been watching a lot of Buffy: the Vampire Slayer so pardon the whole kick-the-ex's-ass thing.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Liz, I am so happy that you are not freaking out because Mr D is everywhere you are [. . . as is our usual fashion, he was there at the game]. He is not stalking you -- well maybe he is, but it is for a very good cause.

    I am glad you didn't sleep with loverboy. I was worried that you might fall into old routines. I have to admit that I am quite concerned about you taking JL to the gala. Why did you ask him? You know he is going to create a scene when you want to spend time with Mr D. -- he is so possessive. Can you uninvite him after your date with Mr D on Thursday? Promise you will at least consider pulling the plug on JL as your date. It is in your own best interest to cut it off now with him before he ruins your life again.

    I know your dinner at Janes is Tues, what's happening tomorrow?

    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty funny, Lisay. For some strange reason, I don't think he's stalking me. I suppose it is because I know his cousin through the Foundation and I feel confident enough in Mr. Firefighter that he wouldn't want to mar that relationship. If I know nothing else about Mr. D I do know the Foundation is important to him.

      I'd lie if I didn't entertain for a few minutes before my date, the possibility of intimacy with JL, BUT I think that's because I have been surrounded by half naked firefighters for the past week. Touching Mr. D sent me into hyperdrive. I will consider all the advice here about JL and the gala. Thanks for weighing in on that. I am going to Jane's Tuesday, but tomorrow in the office I have a full slate of planning to do. So it'll be me and a glass of Chardy tomorrow night, in front of my tree, resisting the temptation to read Char's blog.

      It has been so icy and cold here. Easy to stay warm now that I have my red fleece. Thanks, Lisay!

      Delete
  9. I can't stand it! I must voice my opinions as well. Just tell J.L. friends, not a chance in this lifetime for anything more. Where is the "Black Widow"? What happened to the new improved Lizzy? The one who doesn't take crap from anyone? Hmm? I like that Mr. D. has some kind if chance now ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, tell me how you feel, mamma. LOL Oh I understand about letting your voice be heard. I admit the B.W seems to disappear when faced with those who have the innate ability to manipulate me. My mother is the case in point, but that is very complicated, as is J.L. Don't be so hard on me, mamma. I only embarked on my dating mission on Thanksgiving! It's only been two weeks! Do you think YOU could possibly change 29 years of behavior in 2 weeks? I don't think so. I'm thinking you're just trying to get me pumped and psyched up for good things to make happy changes, but I fear you are judging me without having walked a mile in my shoes. I have to crawl before I can run. Thanks for chiming in. ~Liz

      Delete
  10. Anonymous8:27 PM

    Hey Liz!! Sorry I've been MIA, but I've been super busy with some charity work as well as my finals, which have totally kicked my butt, but I'm back, now AND what a surprise was waiting here for me. For starters, thanks for the tip about Bowlmor, definitely sounds like a go to place. My brother LOVES bowling, hint, hint. Anyway, imagine how shocked I am about Mr. December. You're actually going to go out with him, WOW! Is this the AU you were thinking about? Will he now become your sex slave? teehee. Just wondering. So, does that mean you don't want me to fix you up with my bro. Christmas dinner invite still stands. We'd love to have you. Well let me know.

    And don't you dare go to the gala with that dweeb. You can always go with my brother. Later girl

    TTFN, Georgie <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girlfriend! I missed seeing you here. I hope your relaxing now after school. You never said what charity you volunteer with. I spend a lot of time (prior to this dating nightmare) up at the 92nd St. ASPCA.

      So we add bowling to your brother's list of attributes. I gotta tell ya', I don't think I'll be doing that again. Prior to my leaving my top score was a 6. I kid you not.

      Mr. D as my sex slave? You're moving way too fast. I haven't even gone out with him yet. Hey, but you know what, that jacket was so awesome that if he bought me matching sweats I might consider the sex part without the slave. JUST KIDDING!! LOL

      I'm still interested in meeting your brother. He sounds like a great guy and if he's anything like you, I'm sure we will get along well. I'll let you know about Christmas if that's okay. Thanks a bunch, G! Good to have you back on the blog.

      Delete
  11. Liz Liz -- go to Georgie's for Xmas dinner. Do not go to the Bennets. You deserve better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10:04 PM

    I have to admit I'd love to have seats on the glass ... but not on a 'first' date and not without knowing I was going. And I think I would have stuck around just so I could catch a glimpse of the guy who played Santa. And I hope your toes have recovered.

    Oh, and if JL agree to the go to the gala because he had plans for you to cook him breakfast, then I wouldn't be surprised to find out he's had to leave town early just to get out of the commitment.

    -Linnea

    ReplyDelete
  13. Liz, I'm so floating above the clouds. Who cares about ex...some guy you hardly know was incredibly amazing and sent you a beautiful, warm, fleecy, red jacket! Even if nothing ever comes of your date with that guy, he gets points in my book for this one. Sorry about "A Christmas Story." I know you have your heart setting on going. The performances have been awesome. You can still get tickets, though most of the better seats are sold out. Maybe one of your dates will come through in the end. Oh...the gala...do you really have to go with Mr. I'm so into myself? Anyway! Have a great week! ~Jen Red~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Liz, I'm having horrible visions of beer soaked floors and $800 shoes! Oh the horror!
    I really, really, really hope your date with Mr. December goes well. Remember to eep an open mind and don't be too judgmental! Give the guy a chance!

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.