Hello my friends! Mazel Tov! I feel LUCKY!
Whew I am feeling so much better after having met my Shadchan. What's a Shadchan you ask? Well I'll tell you. She is a Jewish Matchmaker, a centuries old tradition. Believe me, I didn't know what one was when I began either but Charlotte made the arrangements, and I did after all promise to put my trust in her wisdom. I have a REALLY good feeling about the match from this meeting today.
Let me set the scene. Lower East Side Manhattan - Crossing Delancey, like the movie, only in the winter and there is no pickle guy on the corner, no children in the park and no bubbe (grandmother) on the bench giving us advice. Instead, we found ourselves passing Chinese restaurants with Christmas lights beside converted synagogues in what once was a flourishing Jewish community. Now it's different. But tucked in this little gem of a neighborhood I had never been in before was my Shadchan - my matchmaker, Mrs. Sadie Finkelstein, and she is WONDERFUL!
Somehow, it escaped her concern that I wasn't Jewish. Never once did the word 'shiksa' leave her lips. Did it matter to her? I don't think so, although I think it probably should have. Who knows, perhaps the man she has in mind for me isn't Jewish either. Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself. We arrived freezing and sweet, nurturing Sadie warmly greeted us with food and coffee. I think she was around seventy years old but quite the hipster, wearing a fashionable Missoni tunic! In her Eastern European accent infused with Yiddish and English, Charlotte and I learned words that I could readily adapt to my own predicament of singlehood. It was strange how we understood what she was saying even when she referred to someone as 'dreck' It just sounded how she meant it - trash.
This is what we learned: There's no use in kvetching. Complaining is fruitless because according to Sadala (our cute name for her,) "Man plans and God laughs." Apparently, I shouldn't worry so about finding a man, because I'm quite the shayner maidel: a beautiful girl. Of course, I am acting quite meshuggena (crazy) with all my lists because according to Sadie, my beshert won't be found using criteria. After all, your beshert is your fate - the man who is pre-determined for you. So, apparently, it's farkakte (ridiculous) to stress over this dating thing. Cause' clearly, I'm not in control here.
Well, intrepid daters, once Sadie read my completed Shidduch Profile Questionnaire - which I kid you not had questions like: Do I wear stockings, do I go to the movies, she quickly produced my match. Somehow I think the shidduch process is probably just for the Orthodox, but who am I to know? I didn't even know what shul was and the only kosher I keep is the container of salt in my pantry. But Sadie said to trust her, so I do. Maybe there is such a thing as shidduch-lite. She matched me with someone whom she stated as PERFECT for me. A real mensch she said. A great, caring person of good character and generosity. She refused to show me his picture though, but she promised he was very handsome, plays the guitar, cooks and does a fair amount of philanthropy. That word hung in the air after she said it, because it usually implies money, something I'm sure my mother would be pleased about. Me not so much, but appreciated none the less. Yes, it could be possible to please even my mother.
There were other things above and beyond my matching with someone that made the day so special. The gift of laughter and sharing of hearts between the three of us took away the bah humbug that had threatened my heart days prior. Sadie was everything that Charlotte and I had been missing in a mother or grandmother. Her warmth and hospitality set my heart right after the horrible experience I had in Meryton this past Sunday. On our freezing cold day, in an apartment where the radiator was so hot, causing us to shvitz like water buffalo, we shared in the true spirit of the holiday season and it didn't matter what religion any of us were. To me that's the magic!
So in your quest for dating venues, you may want to consider this avenue. Of course, you might not find such a diamond - or emerald - as Sadie, but you definitely will find someone who wants you to be happy and willing to go the distance in helping you. I wish that for you, dear friends. I wish you friendship and people like Charlotte and Sadie in your life.
Today's song, brings down the tempo a bit. Josh Groban's "Thankful." Something to make us think, stop and recognize that there is so much to be thankful for: I for one am thankful to Sadie, my Jewish matchmaker, for bringing me back to Christmas life!
Today's song, brings down the tempo a bit. Josh Groban's "Thankful." Something to make us think, stop and recognize that there is so much to be thankful for: I for one am thankful to Sadie, my Jewish matchmaker, for bringing me back to Christmas life!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoygmylt2iM
I'll see you tomorrow night after my speed dating date! Stay tuned, kiddos.
I'm happy you've had a great day!
ReplyDeleteI have a good feeling about this new venture, maybe the Shadchan is right ;)
Maja
Maja bella, it is readers and comments such as you that add to my day and the good feeling. Thanks for the support. I feel good about my shidduch experience, too. ;)
DeleteLiz, you have such a great heart. It really seems like you're one in a million to not just appreciate the good nature of dear Sadala and the humor of using a Jewish matchmaker to find a Christmas date (ohhhh the irony!) but you notice so many little things. Things that most people take for granted, you see the beauty and magic everywhere. That is what makes you lucky, most people do not have that mindset.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to your next few posts! And maybe this match from Sadie is right and you will be "MFEO" (made for each other)- to quote Sleepless in Seattle. I thought it was so cute how there were so many matchmakers for them in that film!
I'll be singing Fiddler on the Roof songs for the rest of the day now!
Oh Fair Rose, Sadie was all goodness and heart, she made it easy for Charlotte and I to welcome this new, unfamiliar experience. Do not give me credit - it was all her. I am trying to see the joy of the season in spite of my stress, and pressures and my incessant need to please my mother.
DeleteOh I LOVED that move SIS. I loved those kids, MFEO!! Maybe Sadie's match is my bashert.
You are so sweet in your encouragement and support. Wish me luck for tomorrow's date! Thank you.
Ok, so I was reading your blog and as soon as you mentioned Crossing Delancy, I had my image. I LOVED that movie. Whatever became of Amy Irving, i wonder? Anyway, I am tickled by the yiddish flowing through your post. It's funny to hear the words in your head as they must have been spoken.
ReplyDeleteI'm excited learn about this "beshert" that she feels is your match. I can't even figure out how to say it. LOL! I'm also looking forward to hearing about your speed dating date. I'll be sure to check back to read all about it.
Oh, and I LOVE me some Josh Groban!
Elicia
Hi Elicia! CD is an all-time favorite and I love that Izzy is a book girl. But my favorite scene is when she and her girlfriend are in the hotdog restaurant on her birthday and a woman sings to her. "Once you have found him, never let him go!" I'll just start with a date. LOL
DeleteGosh, some of these words I've heard from time to time, but we were immersed in a Yiddish Correspondence Class. It was great and we assimilated so easily.
Do you believe in a soul mate for everyone? One sweetheart created just for you? I'd like to think that's true. Maybe one day ...
Thanks Elicia! I love Josh, too. "My Confession" is one of my favorites. See you tomorrow. :)
You know, Liz, I'm not sure I believe in soul mate in the romantic terms. I do think that everyone has a soul mate but they are not necessarily meant to be your romantic partner in life. I've been married (Happily) for over 20 years and i can't even claim my husband to be my "best friend". However, I am in love with him. despite his many, many flaws....LOL
DeleteI can't begin to imagine what finding your soul mate feels like. Maybe Colin Firth is my soul mate but i've never met him so i won't get to find out. haha
So, to answer your question, yes i do believe there is a soul mate for everyone but i don't believe its got to be your sweetheart, lover, marriage partner, or whatnot. Too bad Caveman is taken; maybe HE is your soul mate and now you'll never know.
My favorite holiday Josh Groban is "O' Holy Night" LOVE LOVE LOVE
Rose is singing matchmaker, and I have the image of when Robin Williams was dressed that way and sang it in Mrs Doubtfire…but Sadie sounds so sweet - maybe I should visit her who knows she may find someone for me too.
ReplyDeleteIt is nice to read that you are so happy with your visit to her looking forward to finding out who she says is your destiny!
When Charlotte first told me that we were going to a professional matchmaker, that scene from Fiddler on the Roof popped into my mind. I just love Mrs Doubtfire, that scene with his brother was great! Sadie would love to help you Ann, she is so understanding, and although frank, she has such a way of delivery that you cannot be offended.
DeleteThanks for all your support. See you tomorrow for my date with Mr. Bond!
Liz! YOU are such an inspiration! I love your spirit of adventure as you agree to try so many venues. Speed dating, blind dates and now Sadie Finkelstein. And to top it all off you put in a little "Thanks" with Josh Groban. I am so positive that sooner or later, "somethings got to give, somethings got to give, somethings got to GIVE!" We're all rooting for you out here in Cyber Space! Good luck tomorrow with Mr. Bond! ~Jen Red~
ReplyDeleteThank YOU! Jen, you are so uplifting! It must be the musician in you, your ability to put song in everyone's heart. I'll be sure to take that song with me tomorrow. I'm going with an open mind. BIG HUGS! and I hope you are enjoying your Christmas season.
DeleteLiz, It sounds like Sadie knows her business. Your blog post prompted me to do a little digging into the word "Bashert," and here is what I found. Just something for you ponder:
ReplyDelete"When someone refers to an event as “bashert,” he is asserting that the invisible Hand of God was intimately involved in its fruition. This is usually due to the improbable circumstances surrounding the event, or its heretofore unappreciated fortuitous outcome. Bashert is perhaps most used in the context of dating and marriage, where the divine intervention refers to the finding, or even the preordained selection, of one’s spouse. Thus the word “bashert” has become synonymous with “soul mate,” the person whom one was divinely ordained to marry."
So ... maybe you should look at your "unluckiness" particularly in all the circumstances of the number thirteen in your life, not as unlucky, but rather, like today with 13 days remaining to Christmas: 13 = Bashert
cheering for you.
caveman
13 Lucky? *snort* Not since January 13, 1987 has that number been lucky, but I appreciate your positive spin, caveman.
DeleteBut, I'd like to think that there is someone out there destined just for me, but even just attempting to find a simple date is a huge step for me.
Since your heart is already spoken for, does that mean you met your bashert? Lucky you. :)
Thanks! "Love. Simple enough that even a caveman can do it!" LOL
Hey Mr. Caveman! Maybe you have a brother? I love a smart man!
ReplyDeleteLiz... I never argue with a 70-year old elder - especially one that's hip! Take heed of her words... your heart's desire might be just around the corner!
Mmmm. I am loving this Caveman guy. Any fellow Cavemen hanging around????
ReplyDeleteUnlucky in Long Island.
Wow Anonymous, you don't even know me and already you have an opinion. I hope you get lucky ;) and find your own neanderthal real soon.
Delete