Whoever said that the Three Wise Men only came in January? As a matter of fact, I can wholeheartedly testify to the fact that wisdom seems to be all around me AND several epiphanies came a few days before the twelve of Christmas even began. Of course, the wisdom had been bestowed by all my lovely female readers - more than three!
You're on pins and needles, aren't you, my friends? Dying to know what happened at the gala tonight and why I am home so early to boot - alone no less and not leaving you a drunken post telling you the sordid details of my sex life with Mr. December. Now, hold your horses, a lot happened tonight and we've got a day to go before I'm able to leave you anymore of those posts. I know how happy you all were with that "other" post I made, but I'm sure you want the sex to be beautiful and not drunken, right? I know I do.
Because I know you have been rooting for me, I know you will be pleased as punch not only for my having come back from the dead of yesterday's spiral into my pity party of sugar cookies and chocolate (tons of chocolate), but you'll be happy to know I officially kicked J.L to the curb tonight.
But I also know you won't be pleased with me when I tell you that I actually think it was a good thing he came back an unchanged man and that I became temporarily affected by his vulcan mind-meld, leading up to our hockey game date. Why is that good? Because he served to highlight all the specialness of Mr. December, who is an incredible man who I am now determined, more than ever, to woo back and make full amends to for my terrible treatment.
Anyway, after the sharpness of my tongue toward J.L at the Gala, in the car on the way home I explained calmly to him that I was a different woman, a confident woman who required and deserved an equal partnership and respectful, abiding love from her partner. He begrudgingly admitted, once he put aside the affront to his ego, he wasn't looking for more than renewing our sexual relationship while he was home for the holidays. Pig. I didn't chastise him for either his behavior when we dated those many years ago or his behavior in our re-acquaintance. J.L is J.L and will always be the same. What would be the point of telling him how he caused me to feel. I'M THE RESPONSIBLE ONE for allowing him to use me as a doormat. That's quite an epiphany, I'd say and it wasn't a wise man.
Then there was the matter of my mother - Oh, you'll be so proud of me, my friends. On my way home from visiting my sister (we had a serious talk,) after I dropped J.L at Charlotte's, I called my mother and calmly told her that I wasn't coming home for Christmas because I was tired of her belittling me. I also informed her that I was not engaged to Mr. D and if I ever became so, it would be a cold day in Hades before I invited her anywhere near him (ok, that wasn't so calmly put.) Then I spoke with my father - because my mother became pissy - and told him that I didn't appreciate the fact that he consistently turned a blind eye and deaf ear to how she's treated me and Mary our entire lives. Never once standing up for us, always laughing at my unfortunate moniker and circumstances. I love my dad, but I had to say my piece. No more insanity. Stop the insanity! That phone call was an epiphany bearing gifts - my freedom and peace.
| The Great Gatsby Tree at The Plaza Hotel |
The Plaza Hotel was beautiful, the Christmas Trees amazing, the affair impressive, but the Founder of the FD Burn Foundation, Mr. December himself was the most incredible person in the room. Awarded a very impressive accolade, his achievements and charitable generosity only showed us another incredible aspect of what a dynamic and sensitive man he truly is. Watching him receive the Valor Award, caused me to truly see the one thing I believe the most in at this time of the year - Christmas Spirit - and it is embodied within that man standing on the podium - Mr. December. And that the secret of Christmas isn't just the things we do over the four weeks of Advent, but it's the things we do over 365 days of the year. Christmas Spirit lasts forever - it's in our hearts - and it is in men like him - to give to others.
We danced tonight - half of a slow dance until his date, yes you read that correctly, interrupted us and his aunt called me away. I didn't get to say to him all the things I hoped to say, specifically those three words, but it was still magical, and I did get to apologize.
I'm sure a bunch of you will scream text him, call him, but I won't. I still have to go on my date with my bashert.
Don't you worry, Mr. D HAS BEEN MY SHADCHAN DATE all along. Isn't he a sneaky devil? That incredible man knew I was the woman Sadie tried to match him with. Well, after talking with G (yes, we made up,) I have a plan which Sadie, Char and G are going to help me with.
Let my wooing begin. He deserves to be wooed.
I think Christmas Eve is just the night to go for some Chinese food and meet my blind date.
This song is filled with so much feeling. It's specific for how I feel about Mr. December. SheDaisy's "That's What I Want for Christmas." Here's to hoping that Christmas Eve goes as planned.
Oh, and for you fashionista girls - Here's the J. Mendel gown I wore tonight:


Well, I am relieved that you got to apologize at least. And thrilled that you told JL what you thought. I hope the 'girlfriend' does not mean Mr. December is trying to move on. It would be too sad if you lost the man of your dreams just by thinking he could not possibly love you. Cannot wait to hear about the next date.
ReplyDeleteFingers crossed in Long Island!
Glad to read your eyes are opening, and that you won't go to your mom's Christmas lunch lets dig at Lizzy fest. Time for a fun and enjoyable Christmas after your not so blind date - maybe only blind to how wonderful your life can be with Mr December.
ReplyDeleteI am sure that the arm candy on Mr D's was there only for show and he will be more than happy to ditch her when you start your wooing. Glad you have roped in some reinforcements to claim your true love, including Miss G.
We will avoid commenting about how JL showed his true colours - knew he was a person not to be trusted and now keep him out of the picture.
As to wooing - we want details!
Oh, Liz! I am so proud of you! Definitely the big girl panties on under that gorgeous gown.
ReplyDeleteLet me add one tiny more thing about forgiveness. Forgiving prevents the act from keep a dark spot on your soul and in your heart. But, it is not always possible or wise to forget. I am speaking of someone's parents here.... If the person is not going to make amends, or promise to improve the situation, they can still be forgiven. But, don't trust them. I am so proud you told your mother you were not coming for Christmas and you told your father how he disappointed you. That took guts!! And, then JL - yup - good one!
Now - that Christmas date you were looking for is still out there waiting for you. Go fight for it, sweetie! And you will have a Christmas date for the rest of time....
Oh Liz! I am so glad that you have come back to us from the dead and depressed. It doesn't matter that you didn't get to say those three little words. I'm sure you will have another chance at the blind date. Thinking positive! In fact I am about to do the happy dance thinking that you gave the ex the ax! Not to mention you spoke up on the home front. Wow! I would hate to be your opponent in the ring today! Yes, VERY HOPEFUL! ~Jen Red~
ReplyDeleteIt is amazing what a determined woman with a clear head can accomplish. Looks like you scratched off quite a few items off your to-do list for your future happiness. I'm looking forward to hearing about the success of the woo-ing. I have no doubt he'll catch you when the time is right. ;-p
ReplyDelete-Linnea
Lizzy, as I said before, I do not think you read FD [yes he's no longer Mr D] all that well. I am concerned that he did not get your message from the dance. Hopefully he will believe G and will go on with the date Sadie set up. [I can't stop humming Sadie Sadie Married Lady in my head!]
ReplyDeleteI am so very very relieved that you dumped the Bennets for Christmas. And hopefully for a long long time. They have been the source of your unluck [is that a word?] and now that you told them off, don't look back.
After everything, FD deserves to be wooed. Go to it girl!
Wonderful you've put aside the old baggage. New beginnings will your date be as well thought out as Mr D's was? I'm sure it will. Liz your an amazing young woman and desire all things wonderful.
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas my dear. Oh That tree is simply gorgeous I'm going to have to google what a Gatsby Tree is. :D
I am so excited to read all of this, Liz! I will say that I am confident that you will land your Mr. D and your bashert!
ReplyDeleteAnd even though I've had my wonderful husband for many years now, it's really only been in the last year or so that I've been able to stand up to my mother and other people in my life and stop making excuses for them. It's like all of a sudden it hit me that nearly 30 years was enough and I had to take charge of my life if I wanted things to be different.
I bet you looked killer in that gown!
Kudos to you for taking courage and finally putting your best foot forward to making life right for you!
ReplyDeleteI am proud of you, Liz! Now, go and get your soul mate!
ReplyDeleteWay to go Liz! I'm so proud of you! Just keep checking off your list and get going wooing Mr. Dec, your reward is coming soon. What a gorgeous dress--and I bet you looked fabulous! Good luck --
ReplyDeleteLiz, I am delighted to see you so happy and as they say in my country "you have taken the bull by the horns", putting JL in his place, your parents in theirs and you've realized that Will is your happiness . I am glad and I will disobey all the happiness in the world!
ReplyDelete