Pages

Saturday, November 30, 2013

25 Days 'Til XMas

Woman on a Mission

Hi everyone!!  Thank you for joining me in this madcap dating adventure and thank you for reading, especially at at time when you have shopping, cooking and partying to do.

If you've found my blog, you're most likely intrigued by the snappy title which was thought up by my BFF, Charlotte.  I hope to amuse you with either tales of my dating nightmares or give you something to cheer about should I make a love connection somewhere between Rockefeller's Christmas Tree Lighting and my mother's traditional turkey dinner on Christmas Day.  Why the deadline?  Because I'm tired of being the odd person out at every holiday dinner table and hearing my family remark about it.  I'm tired of being Unlucky Thirteen Lizzy. 

So, here's what we're looking at this December: From this day forward I'm going to share with you every sordid detail of my adventures in the dating scene of New York City.  Maybe you've experienced this yourself in the city where you live.  I sure as heck haven't, so feel free to laugh at me as I stumble my way through.

I'm a woman - obviously, because I don't think many men would go through this and blog about it.  I'm conservative in dress and manner.  Well, apart from my kickboxing addiction. I'm a twenty-six year-old advertising executive, educated at New York University, who always just assumed that the right guy would come along at the right time and, well, I assumed I wouldn't have to do any leg-work (so to speak) in order to 'catch' him or 'fall in love'.  I always assumed it would come naturally.  Boy was I mistaken.  While I have certainly dated my share of guys, I certainly didn't expect every darn one of them to be arrogant, self-absorbed, career-obsessed prigs, but that's what I get for dating those in my usual business and normal social circle.  But, truth be told, I'm not looking for forever or to fall in love.  Truly, I'm not.  I just want a respectable date for the holidays, Christmas dinner and, hopefully, my sister's wedding.  Period.


This is where Char comes in, she's out there, she's been around the block a few times, she's a non-conformist and a go-getter.  She thinks and acts from the right side of the brain and never makes a list for anything.  Yeah, yeah, I know she's single too, but her standards are waaay different than mine. Point is, she's on the inside track and knows just where to find men, particularly at Christmastime.  She's not afraid to try different hats - a Stetson, a fedora, a newsboy, or a ball cap.  Get what I'm saying?  While I do hope to find a professional, educated, refined man, I hope I can find one without the pompous attitude so many have.  There is nothing more off-putting than a man whose manicure and pedicure are better than mine.  BTW those are points 28 and 29 on my list of 36 required criteria for 'the one.'


Here's a small sampling from the criteria list (not in order:)
  1. Sense of humor
  2. Physically fit
  3. Health Conscious
  4. Kind-hearted
  5. Hard working
  6. Generous
  7. Charitable
  8. A Good Observer and Listener - this one is key, girlfriends, and it should be for you, too.  Women need a man who is going to take note and remember all the little things that make up the woman he is dating.  I would love to find a man who'll remember that my favorite flower is a yellow rose, that I like my coffee black with no sugar, that I adore Central Park in the springtime and all of Manhattan during Christmas.  A man who will come home and say, "Tell me all about your day," before he puts the tv on or surfs the internet.  
Well intrepid daters, I've got my list ready, my pencil with the Santa head eraser poised and my New York Magazine Personal Ad submitted online as of this afternoon.  It's scheduled to go "live" on Monday, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!    

(BTW - I'll be linking all my single scene exploits on the side panel.) Thanks for joining me and I'll see you tomorrow.


And here's our song, "All I Want for Christmas is You" by Mariah Carey: 
Favorite Version from film "Love Actually" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ghkHlthIqM

17 comments:

  1. Kayenne11:57 AM

    Love the quirky photo! Ads? Make sure you double check your wordings girl... and find a way to weed out the weirdos! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh oh! I can't remember if I proofed it or not, I've got this huge presentation coming up at work and I've been somewhat preoccupied. Well I'm sure everything will be okay. Maybe I'll be lucky, right?

      Delete
    2. Kayenne12:59 PM

      Let's sure hope so! I think I'm about to live vicariously through you for now! Maybe you can get your friend, Charlotte, to screen your dates for you. But then again, I hear that you do kick ass in the ring!

      Delete
  2. A great version of a great song. In fact, "Willing to attend Romantic Comedy" films could definitely be another criterium, but then you might have to add another page to that list of yours! You may want to rethink "the list" at some point, Liz. But for now good luck. We'll be cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi S. Gordon. Nothing gets between me and my lists, they have saved me from many bad things. But I will take your advice and add "Likes Chick Flicks" to my list, making that 37 points right below number 36 "Dog Lover." Thanks, new friend.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks so much ORD girl!! I need all the luck I can get

      Delete
  4. Happy to tag along with you on your quest!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will you weave me a dream, my friend? Make him the cutest that I've ever seen? Thanks for coming along. I'm hoping I don't muck this up! ~Liz

      Delete
  5. Liz, think you may need to carry spare contact lenses. Don't want one knocked out if Mr Right is right in front of you…not only does it mess with your vision I end up with headaches while my eyes are trying to compensate. Should you add to the list good at finding lost contact lenses on the bathroom floor? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an excellent idea, Ann. Starting today, whether I have my glasses on or not, I will carry a little emergency contact lens case in my handbag. I'll need to write that on my 'Things to Do' list. Thank you for the suggestion. It's a good one and based on your personal experience. :)

      Delete
  6. I love that you're a list maker, I am too. At the ripe age of 14 I even had a list for my some-day dream man. Most ridiculous on the list? Thrifty. I explained to my friends I didn't want to come home one day and him explain that he felt justified in buying a boat or something, lol. The funny thing is, once I met my Mr. Right I don't really remember comparing him too much to the list. So, don't take yourself too seriously, be flexible! He was also right there in front of my eyes for a whole year and I hadn't even considered him to start off with. Oh, and the biggest exception? I changed from brown eyes to blue. Blue eyes are a very good thing. ;)

    Lots of luck Liz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an inspiring story, Rose. Thank you!! I've lived by lists since I was a little girl, less chance of things going wrong if I know I have my ducks in a row. Trust me, I learned the hard way. I didn't just come by my moniker because of my birthdate. Thrifty is good, especially since meeting a millionaire is a darned rare thing. LOL Though, I don't mind spending my hard earned money on good quality, designer clothing and shoes mainly because I am in the advertising business. It instills faith.

      So about your Mr. Right, did it start out as a simple Christmas date? Cause you need to know I'd love to take a Mr. Knightly to my family, and then my sister's wedding. If anything develops - well, we'll just have to see - because you know I have 36 point criteria that he'd need to meet. But I will, as you say, keep and open mind and try to be flexible - if I have to cross that bridge. Thanks so much for the advice and pep talk - and the luck I need. ~Liz

      Delete
    2. Actually he asked me on a date and I said no because I was not wanting anything serious and didn't want to just go on a "this is going nowhere date" but a friend talked me into giving him a chance and just see what happened on the date. An example of why I wasn't looking for anything: the day after our first date I left the state for 2 months on vacation and was in the midst of a lot of family drama. I wanted one uncomplicated thing in my life. We e-mailed and talked on the phone a lot during that time and really got to know each other. When I got back we were inseparable. 10.5 years later and it's been a ride, definitely not uncomplicated but certainly worth it! He just....gets me, probably more than I do. He knows when I need to laugh and when I need chocolate, it doesn't get much better than that.

      He still needs to work on your point 8 sometimes though. Actually, he gets the little things and always asks about my day but it's listening to bigger things like: We were invited to X on Thursday. Somehow that gets lost in his brain. Ah, but I'm flawed too.

      And adult me still defines thrifty as "not buying a boat for no good reason" but is pretty flexible on shopping for other things. :D

      Delete
  7. I look forward to reading about your quest to find a man for Christmas. Good luck with finding a man that matches your list, if you do, can you find out if he has any older relatives looking for company? lol

    ReplyDelete


  8. Good luck Liz, I'll be here for whatever you need, and if only looking for a date to accompany you to a couple of events, I think you should be picky, there are many "losers" out there. Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wentworth6:00 AM

    Liz, I really like that photo you're using for the Ad. Mr Xmas-Date *must* dig cute chicks not afraid to flaunt her glasses. lol That should be the #1 criteria in my book!
    Speaking of criteria though, a query about #3 - is it meant to be "health conscious"?
    Good luck with the dating and I'll be cheering you on. Just be gentle on the guys who don't make the cut!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.